The following resources are provided to help attorneys comply with ethics requirements.

Attorneys Ethics Hotline

The attorney ethics hotline is for attorneys only for research assistance on legal ethics and advertising issues pertaining to their own, prospective conduct.  

  • The hotline does not provide advice or an opinion, and it does not discuss substantive law.
  • The call is confidential, but callers must provide their names and certify that they are New Jersey lawyers, their inquiry concerns their own, prospective conduct, and they are not currently the subject of a disciplinary grievance or proceeding.
  • The hotline does not accept anonymous calls.
  • The hotline will not address calls from lawyers who seek guidance, advice, or an opinion about whether another lawyer’s conduct violates the ethics rules.
  • See Court Rule 1:19-9 for more information.

Hotline Number: 609-815-2924 .You will be prompted to leave a voicemail message, and your call will be returned.

New Jersey Rules of Court

Discipline of Members of the Bar (R.1:20)
New Jersey Fee Arbitration Rules (R.1:20A)
New Jersey Recordkeeping Rule (R.1:21-6)
New Jersey Rules of Professional Conduct

Approved Trust Banks

Each year, the Supreme Court of new Jersey issues a list all New Jersey financial institutions that have been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey to be depositories for attorney trust funds.

Attorneys having questions as to whether or not a particular financial institution not on the list has filed an agreement with the Court may request and rely upon a copy of the executed agreement from the financial institutions. They also can call the OAE at 609-403-7800 to confirm that an agreement has been filed.

See the list of approved trust banks 

Frequently Asked Questions About Attorney Misconduct

    • Q. How do I obtain a certificate of ethical conduct?

      Send your request in writing to:

      Office of Attorney Ethics
      Richard J. Hughes Justice Complex
      P.O. Box 963
      Trenton, New Jersey 08625-0963

      Include your name, date of birth, Bar I.D. number, date of admission to the N.J. State Bar, and a self-addressed, stamped envelope. There is no cost for this service. Allow 2 to 3 weeks.

    • Q. Where do I call if I have a question about the amount of the Annual Attorney Registration Fee, or to find out if an attorney is on the ineligible list?

      For these matters you may contact the  

      NJ Lawyers’ Fund for Client Protection (Hotline)

       or go to the Attorney Index.

    • Q. How do I file an ethics grievance against an attorney or dispute fees charged by an attorney?

      Call the  Office of Attorney Ethics  toll-free at  609-403-7800  A recording will instruct you to enter the zip code of the office address of the attorney in question. You will then be automatically transferred to one of the district committees to request filing forms.

    • Q. What must I do if I want to engage in the private practice of law in New Jersey?

      In order to engage in private practice in New Jersey, you must

      1. pay the annual assessment;
      2. complete the attorney annual registration statement and keep the data current throughout the year;
      3. fulfill the requirements of R. 1:21-6, including trust and business accounts in an approved New Jersey financial institution;
      4. keep trust accounts IOLTA-compliant (R.1:28A) ; and
      5. maintain required levels of malpractice insurance under Court Rules if practicing in a P.A., P.C., L.L.P., or L.L.C.
    • Q. How can I find out the disciplinary histories of an attorney?

      You can search the disciplinary histories page on this site. For other inquiries call the  Office of Attorney Ethics at 609-403-7800   

    • Q. How do I change my name?

      You can download a name change certification/affidavit from the Board of Bar Examiners' website.

    • Q. How do I resign without prejudice from the New Jersey Bar?

      First, please review Court Rule I :20-22. In particular, note that you cannot resign if any disciplinary or criminal proceedings are pending in any jurisdiction to which you are admitted or if you are not in good standing. If you qualify, and if you comply with the notice requirements set forth in the form, you may complete the Resignation Without Prejudice form and mail it to:

      Resignation Without Prejudice Unit

      Office of Attorney Ethics
      Richard J. Hughes Justice Complex
      P.O. Box 963
      Trenton, New Jersey 08625-0963
      Please allow approximately four weeks for processing. Final notification of approval will be received from the Supreme Court Clerk's Office

      If your resignation is accepted by the Supreme Court, it will terminate your membership in the bar. To be readmitted, you will have to retake the New Jersey Bar Examination, unless you meet the requirements of R.1:24-4 to be admitted by motion.

    • Q. How do I obtain a certificate of good standing?

      Complete the Request for Certificate of Good Standing. There is a $20 fee for each certificate requested.

    • Q. Where can I find information about mandatory licensing of In-House Counsel pursuant to R. I :27-2?

      Please visit the Board of Bar Examiners' at or call them at 609-815-2911.