Cassidy DWI Cases

Special Master to Review DWI Convictions Involving not Properly Calibrated Equipment

The Supreme Court found that in some driving while intoxicated (DWI) cases, some Alcotest machines were not properly calibrated. It ruled that results from those machines could not be used to convict a defendant of DWI. As a result, more than 13,000 DWI cases are eligible for review. The majority of eligible cases are in Middlesex, Monmouth, Somerset, and Union counties.

Court notices have been sent to all eligible defendants. You might be eligible even if you did not get a court notice:

  • If you were charged with DWI between 2008 and 2016 and your conviction relied on a reading from an improperly calibrated Alcotest machine.
  • If you changed your name or address or have some other reason why the mailing address on record with the court is no longer valid.

You can call the municipal court where your case was heard to see if your case is listed as eligible for review.

How to request a review of your DWI conviction

Complete review request form and send to

If you are unable to send by email, you can mail the form to:

Administrative Office of the Courts
Municipal Court Services Division
RJ Hughes Justice Complex – PO Box 986
Trenton, NJ 08625-0986

If you do not have the case information to complete the form, you can search for your case in the Municipal Court case system.

Note: After May 31, requests for review should be submitted directly to the municipal court where the case was filed.

Try to get a lawyer.

It is a good idea to get a lawyer to help you with your case. The New Jersey State Bar Association website has a list of lawyer referral organizations.

If you cannot afford a lawyer, you might be eligible for a public defender. A judge will decide if you are eligible for a public defender based on your income and other factors. Review the income guidelines.

Complete the indigency section of the review request form if you want to request a public defender.

Learn more about State v. Cassidy