Juvenile Probation Supervision

Are you looking for?
Adult Supervision Overview
Child Support Enforcement

The goal of Juvenile Supervision is to work with youth who have been placed on Probation or received a Deferred Disposition to change their behavior and help them successfully complete probation. Juvenile Probation Officers work with youth, their families, and other supports to create a plan to work on needs and conditions. This includes, but is not limited to, paying fines and restitution, completing community service, reporting regularly to their probation officer, receiving home visits, staying sober and taking drug tests, referring for counseling if needed, and attending school.

I have been placed on juvenile probation.
My child has been placed on juvenile probation

What can I expect on juvenile probation?

  • Your Probation Officer will work with you, your family, the court and community providers to help you succeed on probation.
  • Your Probation Officer will have regular contact with you and your family in your home and their office.
  • Your Probation Officer will help you get help by linking you with services and supports to help you succeed

What can I expect as a parent with a child on juvenile probation?

  • Probation Officers will work with you, your child, family supports, the court and community providers to help your child succeed on probation.
  • Probation Officers will have regular contact with you and your child in your home and their office.
  • Probation Officers will help you and your child by referring your child to services and supports as needed.
  • Juvenile Probation Officers receive special training to work with youth on Probation.

Positive Interventions Committee

The Positive Interventions Committee works on providing you (or your child) with statewide events you may participate in to work on positive skills, such as respectful, fair behavior, problem solving, completing community service hours, and spending time with your Probation Officer outside of their office or your home.

Committee for the Supervision of Juveniles with Sexually Abusive Behavior

This Committee is a group of Probation Officers and Supervisors who have received special training in working with young people who have committed a sexual offense. These Probation Officers are experts in topics such as Megan’s Law and can link youth with specific resources they may need.

Juvenile Delinquency Proceedings and Your Child


Behavioral Health/Substance Abuse Resources

Behavioral Health Resources:

*In case of emergency: If you or someone you know is experiencing a mental health crisis, call 911 right away.

Emergency Crisis Centers
Community Based Mental Health Agencies by County
Homeless Services
Advocacy and Family Support
Mental Health Association in New Jersey
Veteran Services

Batterers Intervention Services:
Department of Children and Families Domestic Violence Services
NJ Coalition to End Domestic Violence

Substance Abuse Resources:

**If you or someone you know is experiencing a drug overdose or alcohol poisoning call 911 right away.

Probation Services Ombudsman Program

How to contact the Probation Ombudsman

Phone: 609-815-3810 ext.16314
Fax: 609-777-3100
E-mail ProbationHelp.Mailbox@njcourts.gov

What is an Ombudsman?

The goal of the Probation Ombudsman is to provide information and assistance with probation and court procedures and to respond to questions from Probation clients and the public.

The Probation Ombudsman cannot represent clients or court users, nor provide legal advice. The Probation Ombudsman attends and coordinates community events, county fairs and other events to familiarize the public with information about Probation and the court system, as well as build public trust and confidence in the courts.

See the list of upcoming court seminars and public events

Contact the Probation Ombudsman:

  • If you have customer service issues;
  • If you have a complaint;
  • If you need contact information; or
  • If you have a question about reporting instructions.

The Probation Ombudsman will make inquires to help resolve your concerns.

What Can the Probation Ombudsman Do For You?

The Probation Ombudsman works with all parts of probation supervision including Adult, Juvenile and ISP/JISP to:

  • provide probation client assistance;
  • provide information to the public;
  • engage in community outreach;
  • investigate and resolve complaints;
  • conduct workshops; and
  • answer questions about probation.

What the Probation Ombudsman CANNOT Do For You:

  • give legal advice or recommend a lawyer;
  • give an opinion about what will happen if you do not report as directed;
  • talk to your probation officer or the judge for you; or
  • change any of your conditions of probation.
See all Judiciary Ombudsman Offices
For more information about the Ombudsman Program
Take our survey

Juvenile Intensive Supervision Program

The Juvenile Intensive Supervision Program (JISP) is available for certain juveniles convicted of a crime.


Entry to JISP is not a given. The family court judge may refer you to JISP, except if you are convicted of certain crimes:

  • First degree cases
  • Megan’s Law sex offenses
  • Arson offenses


If you are eligible for the program, the family court judge may refer your case to a JISP officer for assessment.

The Investigation and Assessment

Before you enter JISP, you and your family will meet with a JISP officer to review the program and ask questions to help find out whether you will be able to complete the program.

The JISP officer will then submit a report to the family court judge. If the judge determines that you are eligible based upon the investigation report, the judge will sentence you into the JISP program by court order.

Rules of JISP

  • You must attend school and/or have a job
  • Community service
  • Regular contact with your JISP officer
  • Firm curfew rules
  • Your Family will take part in the program
  • Take part in treatment programs

Length of Program

If you are accepted into JISP program, you can expect to be in the program for at least 18 months.

Juvenile Delinquency and Your Child
Regional ISP and JISP offices

Moving Out Of State

Interstate Compact for Juveniles (ICJ)

The Interstate Compact for Juveniles (ICJ) helps protect the public and provides for the welfare and protection of juvenile clients, victims and the public. The compact guides the transfer of probation or parole supervision of client between states. It guides the interstate travel of juvenile probationers and parolees. It also guides the return of juveniles who are on probation and have left the state without the court’s permission escaped, run away to avoid facing charges or run away from home. The ICJ website gives juveniles and their families information and resources to prepare themselves for the interstate transfer process.

Answers to questions like, “can my child go to school out-of-state while my child is on probation,” and “what if my family needs to relocate while my child is on probation,” can be found here.

Fines, Restitution and Community Service


If you are sentenced to probation, you might have to pay fines or restitution or perform community service. Your probation officer will oversee your completion of these requirements. If you fail to make any payment or fail to comply with community service requirements, you might be referred to the Comprehensive Enforcement Program (CEP) for court action.


How to pay

  • Cash
  • Check
  • Money order

Checks and money orders should be made payable to "Treasurer, State of New Jersey."

Include your full name and client identification number to ensure proper credit is made to your account.

Personal checks returned unpaid will result in the removal of the option to pay by personal check.


For adult cases, a transaction fee will be deducted from your total payment amount every time you make a payment.

  • For payments between $3 and $9.99, the transaction fee is $1.
  • For any payments $10.00 or more, the transaction fee is $2.

There is no transaction fee for juvenile cases.

Where to pay

Payments can be made at all main probation offices and the county courthouse you were sentenced at Probation Payment Locations

*Satellite probation offices cannot accept cash.

Online payments and credit card payments are not accepted.

Where do payments go?

Payments are distributed according to state law:

  • The Victims of Crime Compensation Office (VCCO) provides funds to cover claims made by crime victims.
  • Restitution is a repayment of funds to the victims of your offense.
  • The Law Enforcement Officers Training and Equipment Fund (LEOTEF) supports the work of law enforcement.
  • The Safe Neighborhood Services Fund (SNSF) provides funds for community law enforcement programs.
  • The Forensic Lab Fee provides funds for county and state crime laboratories.
  • The Drug Enforcement and Demand Reduction Penalty (DEDR) supports local rehabilitation programs and educational services.
  • Fines are paid to the state, county or municipality.
  • The Domestic Violence Victim Fund (DVVF) provides funds to the Department of Human Services, Division of Youth and Family Services to fund programming for domestic violence victims and to educate the public about this issue.
  • The Sex Offender Monthly Penalty provides funds to the Department of Treasury to fund sex offender monitoring
  • The Probation Supervision fee provides funds to the New Jersey State Treasurer for use by the state.
  • The transaction fee provides funds for the court computerization.

When should I contact probation?

You should contact probation with any change of circumstances that might affect your ability to pay or perform community service. You also must contact probation with any changes to your address.

Helpful Employment Resources:

NJ Re-entry Program
Career One Stop
NJ Career Connections



A victim or the family of a victim of a crime committed in New Jersey can be repaid for losses and expenses that resulted from the crime. This repayment is called restitution. All convicted persons might have to pay restitution to the victim or the victim's family.

Read more about restitution

Restitution payments

Restitution checks are paid at least once a month as long as the client is making timely payments to Probation Services.

How to tell if your check is for restitution

If you have received a check from the State of New Jersey Judiciary and are unsure of its purpose, the client’s name and reference number (i.e. Client ID), and the Court's phone number will be printed on the top of the payment statement for any questions you may have.

If restitution checks stop coming

Restitution checks are sent based on the payments received from the person placed on probation. As long as enough funds are received, restitution checks will be generated.

The court must have your current address in order to send your payment. Contact your local probation office if your address changes.

Community Service

A community service sentence requires a client to perform work without compensation at a private non-profit organization or government agency for a period of time that is decided by the court. Probation will make sure all clients are referred to a suitable community service worksite and will monitor the client’s progress until completion of the court-ordered hours.

If community service is the only condition of your sentence, the case is assigned to a community service probation officer. If community service is ordered as only a part of your probation, your supervising probation officer will monitor your community service progress. Failure to comply might result in a summons to appear at a Comprehensive Enforcement Program (CEP) hearing or your case being returned to the county court you were sentenced at.

Whom can I talk to about my community service?

Contact the probation officer assigned to your case.

What if I am unable to complete my community service?

You must provide documented evidence of any reason that prohibits you from completing your court-ordered community service for consideration. In this case, you must contact local probation office.

When should I contact probation?

You should contact probation with any change of circumstances that might affect your ability to pay or perform community service. You also must contact probation with any changes to your address.

Comprehensive Enforcement Program (CEP)


The Comprehensive Enforcement Program (CEP) gives people who fail to meet their court-ordered payments or community service requirements a chance to set up a reasonable plan to meet these conditions.

Whom can I talk to about my case?

If you are on probation, you can talk to your probation officer. If you are not on probation, but still owe money, you can speak to the contact on your payment notices or contact your local probation office.

If I owe money on more than one case, which one gets paid first?

When there is more than one case, all fines, fees and restitution with the oldest case are paid completely before any money is applied on the next oldest case.

CEP Summons

If you receive a CEP summons, you have fallen behind in meeting your existing court-ordered obligations. Those obligations could include the payment of fines or fees or the performance of community service. At the hearing you will be able to explain any change of circumstances that might affect your ability to pay or to perform community service. The hearing will be conducted by a hearing officer.

What should I bring to a CEP Hearing?

Bring any documentation that will help the hearing officer review why you are behind with court-ordered obligations.

What to expect at your CEP hearing

What happens if I do not show up for a CEP hearing?

A bench warrant might be issued for your arrest. Also, a default order might be issued for further sanctions, such as

  • suspension of your driver’s license;
  • a civil judgment filed against you;
  • a lien against your personal assets;
  • income withholding, wage withholding, or wage garnishment; or
  • a tax offset that sends your state tax return directly to the court.

Do I need an attorney to represent me in my collection or community service case?

You can choose to be represented by an attorney, but it is not required. If you wish to have an attorney, you can consult an attorney of your own choosing. If you need help finding an attorney, try asking your local county bar association for a legal referral service phone number or check the NJ State Bar Association website for information on lawyer referral services.

What if I receive a summons for CEP, but I am not behind on my payments?

If you get a summons and believe you are up to date with your payments, contact the probation officer listed on your court notice immediately. If your appearance is not excused by Probation Services before your scheduled hearing, you must appear in court.

Glossary of Common CEP Terms

Arrears – Past due, unpaid fines, fees or restitution owed by the person ordered to pay by a court.

Bench Warrant – An order from the court giving legal authority to law enforcement to arrest a person for failure to appear for a court hearing or failure to comply with a court order.

Civil Judgment – A civil judgment is a statewide lien against all real property owned by the judgment debtor. This means that the property cannot be sold until the lien is satisfied. It could be issued against all real property, bank accounts and/or personal property in order to satisfy financial obligations owed.

Client ID Number – This is an identifying number assigned to a probation case.

Collection Notice Types:

Past Due – This notice means that your account is overdue and the payments on the account must be brought up to date.

Delinquency – This notice means court action can be avoided if you pay your overdue amount in full. The next letter you receive will be a court summons.

Summons – This notice says that you need to appear at a CEP hearing. You will have a chance to explain any change of circumstances that might affect your ability to pay your court-ordered fines and fees.

Community Service Notice Types:

Notice of Failure to Comply with Community Service – You will receive this notice if you failed to comply with a condition of your community service.

Summons - This notice says that you need to appear at a CEP hearing. You will have a chance to explain any change of circumstances that might affect your ability to pay your court-ordered fines and fees.

Court Order – The written decision issued by a court of law. A collection or community service court order says how much is owed or the number of community service hours that must be completed.

Disposition - The final settlement of a case, with reference to decisions made by a court.

Docket Number – The identifying number assigned to every case filed in the court.

Income Withholding/Wage Withholding/Garnishment – A process in which automatic deductions are made from wages or other income to pay court-ordered fines, fees or restitution.

Lien - Official claim against funds for payment, for example, a claim against future court settlement(s).

Modification of a court order – Any change or adjustment to a previous court order.

Non-compliance - Failure to obey a court-ordered obligation.

Obligation – Anything that an individual is required to do by law, ordered by a judge.

Sanctions - Penalties imposed by the court for violation of a court-ordered obligation.

Tax Offset (SOIL) – The amount of money taken from state income tax refund to pay overdue fines, fees or restitution.

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What does it mean to be on Juvenile Probation?
  2. Where can I find mental health or addiction services?
  3. What happens if the rules of Probation are not followed? Is jail a possibility?
  4. Is Juvenile Probation different from Adult Probation?
  5. What is a Deferred Disposition?
  6. What is an "adjudication?"
  7. Are my juvenile probation records confidential/sealed?
  8. Will my probation officer contact my school?
  9. How can I get an Early Discharge?
  10. Can I pay fines online?
  11. What do I do if I cannot pay my fines?
  12. Can I choose where I do my community service?
  13. What if I have a problem working with my Probation Officer?
  14. Can I travel out of the state or out of the country while on probation?
  15. How can I get an expungement?
  16. What do I need to know about sexual offenses charges and Megan’s Law?

1: What does it mean to be on Juvenile Probation?

You will have to comply with all conditions of probation and anything the court may order. This includes having regular contact with your probation officer at their office and in your home; taking drug tests; attending school or getting employment; paying fines; getting permission to leave the state; following all laws; not having access to a weapon (including a paint ball gun); completing community service; going to treatment; and more things to help you succeed. You might also have the opportunity to participate in positive activities with your Probation Officer. You and your family will work with your Probation Officer on everything you need to complete and how you will do that.

| Back to top |

2:Where can I find mental health or addiction services?

For mental health, behavioral, and addiction services, you can contact PerformCare at 1-877-652-7624 or Division of Mental Health & Addiction Services.

| Back to top |

3:What happens if the rules of Probation are not followed? Is jail a possibility?

Your probation officer will work with you on following the rules, however will also put sanctions in place. Sanctions can include more frequent reporting, having a curfew, writing an essay, or a review with a probation supervisor. At times a Violation of Probation (VOP) may need to be filed. A VOP is a new charge and will require legal representation. During a VOP you will be brought back in front of the judge and the judge can order new things including an extension of probation, specific services or placement in detention.

| Back to top |

4:Is Juvenile Probation different from Adult Probation?

Juvenile cases are heard in the family division and adult cases are heard in the criminal division. Juvenile Probation officers work closely with the youth, families, schools, and other supports/services to help the youth in making positive changes and successfully completing their probation term.

| Back to top |

5:What is a Deferred Disposition?

A deferred disposition is when the Court sets aside sentencing you to anything specific, such as a term of probation or incarceration for a period of time. If you receive a deferred disposition you will be assigned a probation officer who will help you successfully complete your conditions. You will have some contact with your probation officer in your home, at their office, or by phone. At the end of your deferred disposition term, your probation officer will update the court on how you have done. If you do not re-offend and complete your conditions, the complaint against you will be dismissed and you will not have to reappear in court. If you receive new charges or do not complete your conditions, you may have to return to court.

| Back to top |

6: What is an "adjudication?"

By law, a juvenile who commits an offense under the age of 18 cannot be "convicted;" they do not have a criminal record. However, the youth does go through a formal court process: they appear in court represented by a lawyer and a judge orders a final decision known as a disposition of the case. It is this final disposition that is called an "adjudication."

| Back to top |

7:Are my juvenile probation records confidential/sealed?

Juvenile court records are not sealed unless ordered by the court. Juvenile court records are not released without approval from you or by court order. However, by law, only juvenile charges are confidential, the final court order by the judge is not. This could allow information to legally be made available without your knowledge. In completing any applications, such as for jobs, college, financial aid or the military, questions about a Family Court record must be answered truthfully.

| Back to top |

8:Will my probation officer contact my school?

Probation officers work with the school principal or someone the principal assigns, as required by the laws of New Jersey. These contacts are to watch for changes in school attendance, behavior, and any problems with complying with Probation. Your probation officer may conduct visits at the school also.

| Back to top |

9:How can I get an Early Discharge?

An early discharge from Probation can be possible when your (or your child’s) performance has been acceptable and the following requirements have been met:

  • All conditions of probation have been met.
  • You are regularly making payment on your fines/fees.
  • The case has been reviewed and approved by the vicinage chief probation officer or assistant chief probation officer.
  • The judge provides approval.

| Back to top |

10:Can I pay fines online?

Not at this time. Other information on payment and community service can be found under the Fines, Restitution and Community Service.

| Back to top |

11:What do I do if I cannot pay my fines?

Discuss with your probation officer. Your probation officer can provide resources to gain employment or request the judge to change a payment plan

| Back to top |

12:Can I choose where I do my community service?

No, your probation officer will provide guidance as to what approved places you can perform your community service at or provide other options.

| Back to top |

13:What if I have a problem working with my probation officer?

Probation officers are trained to work effectively with you and your family to help you successfully complete probation. Our customer service policies require our staff to treat our clients respectfully at all times. If you believe any probation staff are not reflecting these goals and policies, you can bring this to the attention of the probation supervisor, assistant chief probation officer or vicinage chief probation officer. Their names/contact information are made available during the Intake process.

| Back to top |

14:Can I travel out of the state or out of the country while on probation?

Travel out of state needs permission of the probation officer based on compliance with Probation. A travel permit is needed for trips lasting longer than 24 hours. The needed information to process the travel permit must be given to the probation officer at least two weeks before when you plan to leave. Your parents/guardians must be available to sign the travel permit. Probation officers will submit requests for travel out of the country to the judge for approval.

| Back to top |

15:How can I get an expungement?

Juvenile Records are not automatically erased, expunged or sealed at the end of the supervision term or when the youth reaches their 18th birthday. Expungement or sealing of the records is another court process that you would need to start. Contact your lawyer for further information.

| Back to top |

16:What do I need to know about sexual offenses charges and Megan’s Law?

Specially trained probation officers supervise youth who receive a sexual offense charge or have been placed on Megan’s Law. These probation officers are skilled in areas including Megan’s Law and are able to link you with specific resources you may need. Please ask your probation officer any questions you may have.

| Back to top |

Suicide Prevention Awareness Month

You are not alone…You Matter!

September is Suicide Prevention Awareness Month – suicide can affect any one

  • Below are messages from some of our youth
  • If you, or someone you know, is in crisis or are experiencing suicidal thoughts, call The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273 TALK (8255) or call 911 immediately.
  • If you’re uncomfortable talking on the phone, you can also text NAMI to 741-741 to be connected to a free, trained crisis counselor on the Crisis Text Line
  • https://www.nami.org/Get-Involved/Awareness-Events/Suicide-Prevention-Awareness-Month