FAQ about Child Support Enforcement

I received a hearing notice about my child support case from Probation. What will the hearing be about and must I attend?

The notice is to let you know that Probation has scheduled a hearing to enforce your court order of support. This enforcement hearing could be about support payments, health care insurance coverage and/or related issues. The obligor (person ordered to pay child support, alimony, daycare, or to contribute to health care insurance) must be present at the hearing. The obligee (person ordered to receive services on a child’s behalf) is not required to be present unless the court papers indicate that attendance is required.

| Back to top |

Can I request more child support?

The support amount cannot be increased or decreased if the hearing is for enforcement only. If you feel that the obligor should pay more current support than already ordered you can file a motion asking for an increase. Such motions must be filed in the county where the support order was originally set (the county of venue). This may be a different county than the one that supervises your case or schedules your enforcement hearings. You may also write to the Division of Family Development, PO Box 716, Trenton, NJ 08625 to request a review of your case if the support amount has not changed over the last three years. If there is a 20% change between income and the current child support guidelines award, there may be a change in the order.

| Back to top |

I get a welfare check every month. Why is a hearing necessary?

Even if you receive welfare benefits for your child, the person who is ordered to pay child support must still pay it. The money collected by Probation is sent to the county welfare agency to reimburse your monthly grant. The establishment of a regular payment pattern will ensure that you receive a monthly disregard (the first $50 of support collected in a month) in addition to your welfare grant. A hearing may be necessary if the obligor is not paying support as ordered or has not provided health care insurance for your children to be used in place of Medicaid.

| Back to top |

I would like to attend the hearing. Is there anything I need to bring?

Bring with you the notice that you received about the hearing. The obligor's social security number and date of birth may be needed by Probation. If you have an address for the obligor, bring it to court in case what you have is different from Probation's records. Information about the obligor's employer may be helpful to your case. Court orders making changes such as reducing and increasing child support payments should also be brought.

Any information about the obligor's assets such as property, boats, and bank accounts may help in collecting money owed to you. Information about lawsuits, perhaps resulting from an accident, may also be important if it involves the obligor.

| Back to top |

Do I need a lawyer?

Normally, only a lawyer can file motions on behalf of someone. However, in cases where payments are ordered to be made through Probation, the Probation Division is allowed to bring to court motions to enforce. A probation officer will be present at the hearing with records regarding your case.

Should you decide that you want legal representation, you will need to hire a private attorney. You may wish to call your local Legal Services office to find out if you qualify for free or reduced cost legal services. Check your telephone directory for the Legal Services Office in your area. You may also want to ask family or friends to recommend a lawyer to you.

| Back to top |

What happens if the person who owes child support (the obligor) doesn't show up for the hearing?

If the court is satisfied that there is proof that the obligor received notice of the hearing, a bench warrant may be issued for the obligor's arrest. A photograph or detailed physical description of the obligor will help the Sheriff's Department make the arrest. In addition, a default order granting your request for enforcement can be entered by the court.

| Back to top |

Can child support be taken out of the obligor's pay check?

Yes. As of 1990, state law requires that child support be paid through income withholding of any new or modified child support order. However, the obligor is always responsible for making sure the money gets paid even when payments are not withheld. If the income withholding payments don't cover the full amount of the order, the obligor is responsible for sending the difference to probation.

| Back to top |

Can I still get child support even if the obligor isn't working?

Yes. Unemployment is considered a temporary change and the obligor is still required to make payments. New Jersey considers unemployment income to be available for supporting children. If the obligor is receiving unemployment benefits, an order to withhold child support will be sent to the Department of Labor and Industry (Unemployment).

| Back to top |

Before the court date, support was paid in full. Will a hearing still be held?

Yes, there will be a hearing unless it is canceled in advance. Generally, despite the pre-court payment, there may still be issues which need to be addressed such as making sure that regular payments are made in the future and health care insurance is provided.

| Back to top |

My child is over eighteen years old. Am I still entitled to child support?

In New Jersey effective February 1, 2017 N.J.S.A. 2A:17-56 67 establishes 19 as the age when a child support and or medical support obligation will end through Probation.

The law allows for child and or medical support to continue up to age 23 through Probation for cases in which the dependent is in high school, attending full-time college, vocational or graduate school or is disabled, if the parties reach a separate agreement or if continued support through Probation was granted by the court. However, child support except for arrearages, cannot be collected through Probation beyond the child’s twenty-third birthday.  Parties who wish for current child support to be collected beyond the twenty-third birthday, must file with the court for other arrangements.

| Back to top |

The obligor was ordered to provide health insurance for my child but hasn't done done so. What can be done?

You need to contact the Probation Division that handles your case and ask to schedule a hearing to enforce the court order dealing with health care coverage. If health insurance coverage is not part of your current order, you can obtain motion forms from Probation. A hearing can then be scheduled to determine if the obligor should provide health insurance coverage. However, you will need to sign papers for this request and you must be present at the court hearing.

| Back to top |

I received child support directly from the obligor, but Probation still says that money is owed.

The problem is that the order requires payments to be made through Probation. Probation has no way of knowing about payments made outside that system and can't give the obligor credit without a court order. If the money is not owed to a welfare agency, you and the obligor may agree that the payments were for child support but Probation will still need a court order. Purchase of goods such as clothing or disposable diapers don't count as child support. If you and the obligor don't agree, the obligor may file a motion through the court asking for direct payment credit. You will have a chance to respond tot he obligor's motion. If you continue to accept direct payments Probation may ask the court to make your case "pay direct" and your account will be closed.

| Back to top |

Is there a way I can check what payments Probation has received?

You can request a computer printout from Probation of your account history to review before the hearing. You may also call the Child Support Hotline at 1-877-NJKIDS1 (1-877-655-4371) for payment or account balance information.

| Back to top |

I don't speak English. Should I bring someone to translate?

It is necessary to have a certified court interpreter do the translation at your hearing. You should contact Probation before your hearing to let them know you will need a court interpreter. This will allow them to make arrangements in advance, instead of asking you to come back on another day. Most probation offices have someone who speaks Spanish. You can call yourself, or have a bilingual friend or family member call for you.