Copies of Court Records

Except where prohibited by Supreme Court Rule or by statute, the following court records are available for public inspection:

  • Civil Division including Chancery General Equity Records
  • Special Civil Part Records
  • Criminal Division Records
  • Family Division Records
  • Municipal Court Records

Complete the records request form and submit it electronically. This request system is for court records only. To get a transcript, contact the Appellate Division.
Do you need a transcript?

Please read instructions:

  1. Download the form and save it to your computer.
  2. Complete the form and save it again.
  3. Include the correct processing location from the information below. Use “SCCO” for records processed by the Superior Court Clerk’s Office.
  4. Submit the saved form using the “Submit Completed Form” button above.
  5. Records will be sent electronically to the email address you provide on the form.
  6. Fees for certified, exemplified, and sealed copies can be paid by credit card.

Processing Locations

Open Cases

For open cases in:

  • Civil Division including Chancery General Equity Records
  • Special Civil Part Records
  • Criminal Division Records
  • Family Division Records

The division is the county Superior Court where the case was heard. You will be asked to choose one of these divisions on the form. Choose the division, and then the county.

For open cases in:

  • Statewide judgment lien records
  • Foreclosure case records

The division is the Superior Court Clerk's Office (SCCO). Choose SCCO as the division, and then the county.

Closed Records

For closed cases in:

  • Civil Cases including Chancery General Equity until archived
  • Criminal Cases
  • Divorce Cases until archived
  • Family Cases (except divorce cases)
  • Special Civil Part Cases

The division is the Superior Court Clerk's Office (SCCO).

Closed Archived Records

For these archived records:

  • Case Files
    • Civil Cases (archived)
    • Divorce Cases (archived)
    • Foreclosure Cases (all)
    • General Equity Cases (archived)
  • Judgment Records
    • Statewide judgment liens
    • Satisfaction of statewide judgment liens

The division is the Superior Court Clerk's Office (SCCO). Choose SCCO even if the record is a civil, divorce, or general equity record.

Refer to the Judiciary Records Retention Schedule to see how long the Judiciary keeps each type of court record. This will let you determine if the judiciary has the record.

Types of Copies and Court Authentication

Plain Copy: A plain copy is a photocopy of the court document.

Certified Copy: A certified copy is a plain copy with a stamp affixed with the Superior Court Clerk/Deputy Clerk's signature attesting to the authenticity of the document.

Seal of the Court: The seal of the Superior Court may be affixed to a certified copy.

Exemplified Copy: An exemplified copy includes the attestation of the clerk and seal of the court annexed, if a seal exists, together with a certificate of a judge of the court that the said attestation is in proper form. An exemplified copy is usually requested when the document shall be proved or admitted in other courts within the United States and its Territories and Possessions.

Triple Exemplified Copy: A triple exemplified copy contains an additional certification in which the judge certifies as to the form of the attestation in the verification and the authority of the Clerk of the Court who signed the exemplification, and the Clerk certifies as to the authority of the judge.

Apostille: An Apostille is provided attesting to the legal status of selected public officials, such as Judges, Clerks of Court and County Clerks. It is provided if the transaction involves a country that subscribes to the Hague Treaty and is processed through the New Jersey Division of Revenue. A requester must first receive the exemplified copy from the Superior Court Clerk's Office and forward to the Division of Revenue.

NOTE: The availability of resources and the potential for disruption of court operations are considerations in determining how quickly Judiciary staff can respond to record requests, especially when records are stored off-site. If a record request is voluminous or for other reasons cannot be completed within the normal timeframe, or if a request is for certain documents on an ongoing basis (e.g., all complaints filed in the civil division each week), it shall be referred to the appropriate division manager or municipal court administrator. The division manager or municipal court administrator shall assess the request and together with the requestor craft a reasonable solution that meets both the public's need for access and the Judiciary's need for efficient court operations.