Mental Health Resources

Interior Courtroom

The Judiciary is committed to providing an open door to justice for all court users. For court users who may be dealing with mental health concerns, this page provides links to resources that may be useful.

Court Resources

The bar association in your county can help with referring you to an attorney. This link provides contact information for bar associations in each county.

Here is a listing of county deputy clerks who can provide information on attorney referrals.

Legal Services of New Jersey can provide information on legal assistance for those with limited financial means in civil matters:

The Judiciary’s pro bono organization portal lists over 100 organizations which provide legal service to those of limited final means

Information on obtaining a public defender in Superior Court cases:

Information on obtaining a public defender in a municipal court matter may be found by contacting the local municipal court
State list of Municipal Courts

Legal Practice Forms

Legal reference
The Attorneys link at the top of the Judiciary website provides links to various legal reference materials. There is also the Legal Resources page which may help as well.

The New Jersey Judiciary has 12 self-help centers to assist self-represented litigants in their court matters. Anyone can visit these centers regardless of where their case is filed or where they reside. The centers are located in the Atlantic, Bergen, Camden, Cape May, Essex, Hudson, Mercer, Monmouth, Morris, Ocean, Sussex, and Union County courthouses. For more information contact the ombudsman in those counties.

There is a Judiciary ombudsman in every vicinage. A vicinage is a court district -- there are 15 in New Jersey. An ombudsman is a dedicated customer service manager who provides one-on-one specialized services to court users, work with the community to promote public trust and confidence in the courts and make recommendations to improve court services. Many ombudsmen regularly hold public workshops/seminars on topics such as foreclosure, landlord/tenant, child support and custody, divorce, and expungements.

Ombudsman Program Contact Information
Need a court interpreter for your case?

Click here for more information about Guardianship Monitoring Program (GMP)

The Guardianship Monitoring Program (GMP) provides an ongoing relationship between guardians and the court in support of the best interests of incapacitated individuals. Volunteers supplement limited government resources.

Guardianship Monitoring Program Brochure