Domestic Violence Court Assistance

A domestic violence victim has the right to file a criminal complaint, a domestic violence complaint, or both types of complaints based on her/his own needs and understanding of the options. The victim will be referred to the Superior Court, Family Division to sign a domestic violence complaint (whereas a criminal complaint will be processed separately for investigation and prosecution through the Criminal/Municipal Courts).

Within the Domestic Violence Unit of the Family Division a victim is typically assisted and accompanied by a victim advocate who is affiliated with an independent non-profit agency (not the court). Trained court volunteers, under the supervision of court staff, provide general assistance to the Domestic Violence Unit helping to support an efficient complaint filing process as well as a positive courthouse experience for the victim.