Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Foreclosure In New Jersey

If you're representing yourself in a foreclosure case, visit our self-help section.

On This Page


The Office of Foreclosure

The foreclosure process is a two-tiered system. It involves both the Office of Foreclosure and the Superior Court General Equity judges. The Office of Foreclosure us a unit in the Superior Court Clerk's Office. 

The office handles seven types of foreclosures:

1. Residential mortgage
2. Multi-family/commercial mortgage
3. In personam tax certificate
4. Municipal in rem tax certificate
5. Condominium lien
6. Strict foreclosure
7. Fair Foreclosure Act optional procedures.

Foreclosure Actions and Foreclosure Processing Services

Foreclosure actions are filed in the Superior Court. Pleadings are filed with the Office of the Superior Court Clerk, Foreclosure Processing Services in Trenton.

The Foreclosure Processing Services team dockets pleadings (e.g., complaints, answers and requests for default) in foreclosure cases. The team performs general foreclosure case management functions. When a case is contested, the team transfers to it General Equity Judges in the vicinages for disposition. 

You can contact us at  609-421-6100 or  for information on the following:

  • General Questions and Status Requests 
  • Complaints
  • Answers
  • Requests for Default

All correspondence (filings) should be directed to:

Regular Mail

Foreclosure Processing Services
Superior Court Clerk's Office
Richard J. Hughes Justice Complex
P.O. Box 971
Trenton, New Jersey 08625-0971

Messenger Service

Foreclosure Processing Service
Superior Court Clerk's Office
Richard J. Hughes Justice Complex
25 Market Street
Trenton, New Jersey 08625

Foreclosure Forms

The following forms could be needed in foreclosure cases. See foreclosure mediation (below) for mediation forms. Self-represented litigants can access our Self-Help page for forms to file. 

Notice -- Foreclosure Filings - Foreclosure CIS - Revised County/Municipal Code Number Table

Filing Fee Schedule

Complaints $405
Answers or First Appearances $175
Motions $ 50

Checks or money orders should be made payable to Treasurer - State of New Jersey. Attorneys may use their Judiciary Collateral Account to pay any fees. Cash is not accepted. 

Fee Waiver Request:

Fill out the Filing Fee Waiver Request Form to apply for a fee exemption. You must meet financial requirements for eligibility. This form should accompany your document(s). The form and the documents should be submitted to the General Equity Judge in the county where property is located. The judge will review the fee waiver request. Once the judge determines eligibility, your documents will be forwarded to the Superior Court Clerk's Office for filing. If the judge denies the fee waiver request, you will be notified to submit the fee before the documents can be filed. 

Copy Requests:

For information on obtaining copies of files or documents call Customer Service at  609-421-6100 . Requests for records must be in writing. Refer to Copies of Court Records for more details on submitting a request. 

Foreclosure Mediations & Mediation Services

Free foreclosure mediation is available to try to save your home. Mediation is a process where a neutral third-party hears your case. The mediator does not make a decision on the case but guides both parties to an acceptable outcome on their terms. Lenders can still pursue foreclosure actions during the mediation process. It is imperative to begin requesting mediation as soon as possible following a notice of foreclosure. 

The first step in the process is to file for mediation services. Attorneys or self-represented litigants can complete the filing for mediation form. Eligibility requirements pursuant to Rule 4:64-1B must be met. The request also requires the foreclosure mediation checklist. Use the foreclosure mediation financial worksheet to show financial eligibility. 

If a sheriff's sale is scheduled, there are 2 statutory stays that can be requested.

Be aware of scams. Companies that promise to help you get a loan modification, or notices to rescue your home from foreclosure, are popping up all over NJ. You need to protect yourself and your home from scam companies that have no regard for you and your home. 

You need to carefully check the company's credentials, reputation, and experience. Watch out for warning signs of a scam. Companies may falsely claim to be affiliated with a nonprofit or government entity, or endorsed by government officials. You should maintain personal contact with your lender and mortgage servicer. Your mortgage lender can help you find real options to avoid foreclosure. You should use the free HUD/NJHMFA-certified housing counselor. More information including tips to avoid foreclosure scams are outlined in the Public Announcement released by the Federal Reserve. 

Notices to the Bar

Foreclosure for Renters

Residential tenants in a property facing foreclosure might be protected by NJ's Anti-Eviction statute, N.J.S.A. 2A:18-61.1 to 61.12. Legitimate residential tenants have rights to stay on the property notwithstanding a foreclosure.

Frequently, because lenders don't know tenants' names, the foreclosure complaint will name "John Doe, Tenants No. 1 to 10." If a lender is unaware that the property is rented, a tenant may first be told about the foreclosure when the lender has a writ of possession. See the notice to residential tenants of rights during a foreclosure.

Additional Resources for Foreclosure Help

Legal Services of New Jersey can provide resources and legal assistance for qualified litigants. The NJ Dept. of Banking & Insurance provides information on subprime mortgages.