Jurors originally summoned for Wednesday, November 29, 2023, with juror numbers 00803-02397 must login Zoom on Thursday, November 30, 2023. Please check email for Zoom link.
Jury service will begin virtually via Zoom and jurors will have to report in-person the next day or when instructed. Please do not report in-person unless instructed by the court to do so. Please check email the day prior for further instructions.
Jurors that have already attended virtual jury selection please follow the instructions of the judge.
All petit and grand jurors summoned for jury service, please complete your online questionnaire at MyJuryService Portal. Please have your participant number available. You will receive information via email the day prior with further instructions for the date of selection.
Please call the Jury Management Office should you have any questions at 973-776-9300 ext. 56887 or email at ESXfirstname.lastname@example.org. Please be advised that jurors will not be able to confirm their service the Friday before their summons date. Please contact the jury management office to reschedule. Thank you for your willingness to serve!
Answers to frequently asked questions about jury service can be found at https://www.njcourts.gov/jurors/faq
For in-person reporting, please report to the Jury Management Office located at 50 West Market Street Room 150 Veterans Courthouse, Newark, NJ 07102. Free parking is available. Please bring parking ticket inside for validation. Parking lot located at the intersection of 19 South Orange Avenue, Newark, NJ and Howard Street. Term of Service is one week or one trial. All persons will be screened upon entering the building. You may wear a mask if you choose to. Please be advised that glass containers and sharp metal objects are not allowed. *Please do not report for jury service if you are sick or not feeling well. Please call jury management to reschedule. Thank you.
Message from Assignment Judge Sheila A. Venable
Welcome. Thank you for serving as an Essex County juror. Your service is a vital part of the justice system in our form of democracy and will be an important contribution to your fellow citizens. Thank you for serving.
Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) Policy
Advise the Jury Management Office if you require an accommodation in order to serve. You can reach the Jury Management Office by phone ator by email at .
Juror Parking Directions
Free parking is available only in the designated juror parking area - please bring your parking ticket to the Jury Management Office for validation.
Jurors reporting for service should wear clothing appropriate for an appearance in court. Shorts, t-shirts, uniforms or clothing containing statements or offensive symbols are not permitted. All hats must be removed when in a courtroom. Comfortable clothing is also advisable.
- Cell phones, pagers and electronic devices must be turned off in the courtroom.
- You are not permitted to read newspapers or other materials in the courtroom.
- You are not permitted to bring food or beverages into the courtroom.
If You Are Selected As A Juror
- The trial judge will instruct you regarding the trial schedule, reporting times, any recesses, lunch arrangements, etc.
- The judge's instructions will take precedence over any general instructions given in the assembly area.
- You must wear your juror badge at all times, including during lunch.
Other Factors Relating To Your Juror Service
- The daily fee for petit jurors is $5 for the first 3 days and $40 for each day after 3 days.
- The daily fee for grand jurors is $5 for each day of service.
- Checks are processed on Friday.
- Your juror check will generally be received within 3 weeks.
- Check with your employer or your union representative, or read your employee handbook if you have questions about whether you will be compensated by your employer while serving as a juror.
Be aware that N.J.S.A. 2B:20-17 protects jurors from employment related retaliation and provides for the possibility of both criminal and civil sanctions.
Term of Service
Effective April 3, 2020, Petit jurors are summoned for one day or one trial. This means, if after serving one day and you are not involved in the jury selection process, your jury service will be complete.
The courthouse is a non-smoking facility. If you leave the courthouse to smoke, you must inform jury staff so that we are aware of your location at all times.
Failure to Report
Individuals who fail to respond to a jury summons or fail to report when summoned may be subject to penalties including fines. If you have forgotten to appear as scheduled for jury service, please contact the Jury Management Office immediately at.