Cape May County Message
Petit Jurors -Confirmed Petit Jurors scheduled for the week of December 4, 2023. Please be advised there are no jury trials scheduled for the week of December 4, 2023. Therefore your service is complete and you are excused for 3 years.
Thank you for your willingness to serve.
Jurors who do not complete or submit their questionnaire 4 days prior to their service date must contact the Jury Management office at 609-402-0100 x47950 to reschedule.
Grand Jurors - Please report for Grand Jury on Tuesday December 5 , 2023 by 8:45 am.
Message from Assignment Judge Michael J. Blee
Welcome. Jury Service is both an honor and a duty of citizenship. As a juror, you will have the opportunity to observe, participate in, and increase your knowledge about the operation of our court system and the judicial branch of government. Those who serve find it to be a rewarding experience and we anticipate that you will also. Thank you for serving.
Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) Policy
Advise the Jury Management Office if you require an accommodation in order to serve. You can reach the Jury Management Office by phone ator by email at .
Juror Parking Directions
Street parking is available. There are 2 parking lots assigned for Juror Parking, with the first located off of East Mechanic Street, directly behind the Doctors Inn. There is a pedestrian walkway to Route 9 and the front entrance to the Courthouse Building. The second lot is located off of North Boyd Street behind the Library Building. Attorneys may obtain Cape May County Courthouse parking lot access through the Cape May County Sheriff's office. The juror lot is directly behind the County Library Building. Please consult your juror notice for specific directions.
Handicap parking is not available on the street. If you need handicap parking accommodations, please proceed to the lot located off North Boyd Street, directly behind the County Library Building. Enter from Boyd Street. When entering the lot, drive to the security gate, push and release the button on the black box and indicate that you need handicap parking accommodations.
Jurors reporting for service should wear clothing appropriate for an appearance in court. Shorts, t-shirts, uniforms or clothing containing statements or offensive symbols are not permitted. All hats must be removed when in a courtroom. Comfortable clothing is also advisable.
- Cell phones, pagers and electronic devices must be turned off in the courtroom.
- You are not permitted to read newspapers or other materials in the courtroom.
- You are not permitted to bring food or beverages into the courtroom.
If You Are Selected As A Juror
- The trial judge will instruct you regarding the trial schedule, reporting times, any recesses, lunch arrangements, etc.
- The judge's instructions will take precedence over any general instructions given in the assembly area.
- You must wear your juror badge at all times, including during lunch.
Other Factors Relating To Your Juror Service
- The daily fee for petit jurors is $5 for the first 3 days and $40 for each day after 3 days.
- The daily fee for grand jurors is $5 for each day of service.
- Checks are processed on Friday.
- Your juror check will generally be received within 3 weeks.
- Check with your employer or your union representative, or read your employee handbook if you have questions about whether you will be compensated by your employer while serving as a juror.
Be aware that N.J.S.A. 2B:20-17 protects jurors from employment related retaliation and provides for the possibility of both criminal and civil sanctions.
Term of Service
Petit jurors are required to be available for the week or one trial of service . You must call, check the recorded message, or check the website each evening prior to your service to obtain instructions regarding whether you must report. If you are selected, you must remain for the duration of jury selection process, and the trial. Once your service is completed, you will not be eligible to be selected to serve again for 3 years.
The courthouse is a non-smoking facility. If you leave the courthouse to smoke, you must inform jury staff so that we are aware of your location at all times.
Failure to Report
Individuals who fail to respond to a jury summons or fail to report when summoned may be subject to penalties including fines. If you have forgotten to appear as scheduled for jury service, please contact the Jury Management Office immediately at.