Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Fines, Restitution and Community Service

On This Page



If you are sentenced to probation, you might have to pay fines or restitution or perform community service. Your probation officer will oversee your completion of these requirements. If you fail to make any payment or fail to comply with community service requirements, you might be referred to the Comprehensive Enforcement Program (CEP) for court action.


How to pay

Checks and money orders should be made payable to "Treasurer, State of New Jersey."

Include your full name and client identification number to ensure proper credit is made to your account.

Personal checks returned unpaid will result in the removal of the option to pay by personal check.


For adult cases, a transaction fee will be deducted from your total payment amount every time you make a payment.

  • For payments between $3 and $9.99, the transaction fee is $1.
  • For any payments $10.00 or more, the transaction fee is $2.

There is no transaction fee for juvenile cases.

Where to pay

You can pay court-ordered fines and fees through the Probation Client Portal. Payments can be made at all main probation offices and the county courthouse you were sentenced at Probation Payment Windows Locations

*Satellite probation offices cannot accept cash.

Probation Payment Windows Locations



Atlantic County Civil Courthouse 1201 Bacharach Boulevard Atlantic City, New Jersey 08401

Atlantic County Criminal Courts Complex 4997 Unami Blvd. Mays Landing, New Jersey 08330


Bergen County Justice Center 10 Main Street Hackensack, New Jersey 07601


Burlington County Court Facility 49 Rancocas Road Mount Holly, New Jersey 08060


Camden Probation - Building 6 6 Executive Campus Route 70 Cherry Hill, New Jersey 08002

Camden Child Support - Building 5 5 Executive Campus Cherry Hill, New Jersey 08002

Camden County Hall of Justice 101 South 5th Street Camden, New Jersey 08103


Cape May County Courthouse 9 North Main Street Cape May Courthouse, New Jersey 08210


Cumberland County Courthouse 60 West Broad Street Bridgeton, New Jersey 08302


Essex Probation Services Division 60 Evergreen Place East Orange, New Jersey 07018

Essex County Veterans Courthouse 50 West Market Street Newark, New Jersey 07102

Robert N. Wilentz Justice Complex - Family Courthouse 212 Washington Street Newark, New Jersey 07102


Gloucester County Justice Complex 70 Hunter Street Woodbury, New Jersey 08096

Gloucester County Five Points Plaza 1893 Hurfville Road, Rt 41 Deptford, New Jersey 08096


Hudson County Administration Bldg 595 Newark Avenue Jersey City, New Jersey 07306


Hunterdon County Justice Center 65 Park Avenue Flemington, New Jersey 08822


Mercer County Civil Courthouse 175 South Broad Street Trenton, New Jersey 08650-0068


Middlesex County Courthouse 56 Paterson Street New Brunswick, New Jersey 08903-0964  (Civil and Criminal Cases)

Middlesex County Family Courthouse 120 New Street New Brunswick, New Jersey 08903

Middlesex - New Street 189 New Street New Brunswick, New Jersey 08903

Middlesex - Superior Court Probation Department Satellite office, 262 State Street Perth Amboy, New Jersey 08861  (Checks or Money Orders Only)


Monmouth County Courthouse 71 Monument Street Freehold, New Jersey 07728

Monmouth -66 2407 Route 66 Ocean, New Jersey 07712


Morristown-Finance Division Office Courthouse Annex 4th Floor, Ann & Court Streets, Morristown, New Jersey 07960


Ocean County Justice Complex 120 Hooper Avenue Toms River, New Jersey 08754


Passaic County Courthouse 77 Hamilton Street Paterson, New Jersey 07505

Passaic-Probation Division 55 Dale Avenue Paterson, New Jersey 07505  (Only for CEP Hearing and Late Night Reporting)


Salem-Fenwick Building 85 Market Street Salem, New Jersey 08079


Somerset County Courthouse 20 North Bridge Street Somerville, New Jersey 08876-1262


Morristown-Finance Division Office Courthouse Annex 4th Floor, Ann & Court Streets, Morristown, New Jersey 07960


Union - Division of Finance 2 Broad Street, 3rd Floor Elizabeth, New Jersey 07021

Union - Probation Division Plainfield Satellite Office, 315 E. Front Street Plainfield, New Jersey 07060


Warren County Courthouse 413 Second Street Belvidere, New Jersey 07823

Where do payments go?

Payments are distributed according to state law:

  • The Victims of Crime Compensation Office (VCCO) provides funds to cover claims made by crime victims.
  • Restitution is a repayment of funds to the victims of your offense.
  • The Law Enforcement Officers Training and Equipment Fund (LEOTEF) supports the work of law enforcement.
  • The Safe Neighborhood Services Fund (SNSF) provides funds for community law enforcement programs.
  • The Forensic Lab Fee provides funds for county and state crime laboratories.
  • The Drug Enforcement and Demand Reduction Penalty (DEDR) supports local rehabilitation programs and educational services.
  • Fines are paid to the state, county or municipality.
  • The Domestic Violence Victim Fund (DVVF) provides funds to the Department of Human Services, Division of Youth and Family Services to fund programming for domestic violence victims and to educate the public about this issue.
  • The Sex Offender Monthly Penalty provides funds to the Department of Treasury to fund sex offender monitoring
  • The Probation Supervision fee provides funds to the New Jersey State Treasurer for use by the state.
  • The transaction fee provides funds for the court computerization.

When should I contact probation?

You should contact probation with any change of circumstances that might affect your ability to pay or perform community service. You also must contact probation with any changes to your address.

Helpful Employment Resources:

NJ Re-entry Program
Career One Stop
NJ Career Connections



A victim or the family of a victim of a crime committed in New Jersey can be repaid for losses and expenses that resulted from the crime. This repayment is called restitution. All convicted persons might have to pay restitution to the victim or the victim's family.

Read more about restitution

Restitution payments

Restitution checks are paid at least once a month as long as the client is making timely payments to Probation Services.

How to tell if your check is for restitution

If you have received a check from the State of New Jersey Judiciary and are unsure of its purpose, the client’s name and reference number (i.e. Client ID), and the Court's phone number will be printed on the top of the payment statement for any questions you may have.

If restitution checks stop coming

Restitution checks are sent based on the payments received from the person placed on probation. As long as enough funds are received, restitution checks will be generated.

The court must have your current address in order to send your payment. Contact your local probation office if your address changes.

Community Service

A community service sentence requires a client to perform work without compensation at a private non-profit organization or government agency for a period of time that is decided by the court. Probation will make sure all clients are referred to a suitable community service worksite and will monitor the client’s progress until completion of the court-ordered hours.

If community service is the only condition of your sentence, the case is assigned to a community service probation officer. If community service is ordered as only a part of your probation, your supervising probation officer will monitor your community service progress. Failure to comply might result in a summons to appear at a Comprehensive Enforcement Program (CEP) hearing or your case being returned to the county court you were sentenced at.

Whom can I talk to about my community service?

Contact the probation officer assigned to your case.

What if I am unable to complete my community service?

You must provide documented evidence of any reason that prohibits you from completing your court-ordered community service for consideration. In this case, you must contact local probation office.

When should I contact probation?

You should contact probation with any change of circumstances that might affect your ability to pay or perform community service. You also must contact probation with any changes to your address.

Comprehensive Enforcement Program (CEP)


The Comprehensive Enforcement Program (CEP) gives people who fail to meet their court-ordered payments or community service requirements a chance to set up a reasonable plan to meet these conditions.

Whom can I talk to about my case?

If you are on probation, you can talk to your probation officer. If you are not on probation, but still owe money, you can speak to the contact on your payment notices or contact your local probation office.

If I owe money on more than one case, which one gets paid first?

When there is more than one case, all fines, fees and restitution with the oldest case are paid completely before any money is applied on the next oldest case.

CEP Summons

If you receive a CEP summons, you have fallen behind in meeting your existing court-ordered obligations. Those obligations could include the payment of fines or fees or the performance of community service. At the hearing you will be able to explain any change of circumstances that might affect your ability to pay or to perform community service. The hearing will be conducted by a hearing officer.

What should I bring to a CEP Hearing?

Bring any documentation that will help the hearing officer review why you are behind with court-ordered obligations.

What to expect at your CEP hearing

What happens if I do not show up for a CEP hearing?

A bench warrant might be issued for your arrest. Also, a default order might be issued for further sanctions, such as

  • suspension of your driver’s license;
  • a civil judgment filed against you;
  • a lien against your personal assets;
  • income withholding, wage withholding, or wage garnishment; or
  • a tax offset that sends your state tax return directly to the court.

Do I need an attorney to represent me in my collection or community service case?

You can choose to be represented by an attorney, but it is not required. If you wish to have an attorney, you can consult an attorney of your own choosing. If you need help finding an attorney, try asking your local county bar association for a legal referral service phone number or check the NJ State Bar Association website for information on lawyer referral services.

What if I receive a summons for CEP, but I am not behind on my payments?

If you get a summons and believe you are up to date with your payments, contact the probation officer listed on your court notice immediately. If your appearance is not excused by Probation Services before your scheduled hearing, you must appear in court.

Glossary of Common CEP Terms

Arrears  :

Past due, unpaid fines, fees and/or restitution owed by the person ordered to pay by a court. 

Bench Warrant :

An order from the court giving legal authority to law enforcement to arrest a person for failure to appear for a court hearing or failure to comply with a court order.

Civil Judgment :

A civil judgment is a statewide lien against all real property owned by the judgment debtor. This means that the property cannot be sold until the lien is satisfied. It could be issued against all real property, bank accounts and/or personal property in order to satisfy financial obligations owed. 

Client ID Number :

This is an identifying number assigned to a probation case.

Collection Notice Types :
  • Past Due – This notice means that your account is overdue and the payments on the account must be brought up to date.
  • Delinquency – This notice means court action can be avoided if you pay your overdue amount in full. The next letter you receive will be a court summons.
  • Summons – This notice says that you need to appear at a CEP hearing. You will have a chance to explain any change of circumstances that might affect your ability to pay your court-ordered fines and fees.
Community Service Notice Types :
  • Notice of Failure to Comply with Community Service – You will receive this notice if you failed to comply with a condition of your community service.
  • Summons - This notice says that you need to appear at a CEP hearing. You will have a chance to explain any change of circumstances that might affect your ability to pay your court-ordered fines and fees.
Court Order :

The written decision issued by a court of law. A collection or community service court order says how much is owed or the number of community service hours that must be completed.

Disposition :

The final settlement of a case, with reference to decisions made by a court.

Docket Number :

The identifying number assigned to every case filed in the court.

Income Withholding/Wage Withholding/Garnishment :

A process in which automatic deductions are made from wages or other income to pay a child support obligation. Income withholding has been mandatory since the enactment of the Family Support Act of 1988.

Lien :

Official claim against funds for payment, for example, a claim against future court settlement(s).

Modification of a court order :

Any change or adjustment to a previous court order.

Non-compliance :

Failure to obey a court-ordered obligation.

Obligation :

Anything that an individual is required to do by law, ordered by a judge.

Sanctions :

Penalties imposed by the court for violation of a court-ordered obligation.

Tax Offset (SOIL) :

The amount of money taken from state income tax refund to pay overdue fines, fees or restitution.