Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Requesting a Superior Court or Tax Court Transcript for Your Appeal

Ordering Process for Attorneys

Attorneys must order their transcripts through eCourts Appellate.

Attorney Login

NOTE: If your transcript request is for a Superior Court case and is not related to an appeal, contact the local county transcript office directly. If your transcript request is for a Tax Court case and is not related to an appeal, please fill out the court transcript request form and email it to

Ordering Process for Self-Represented Litigants

Self-represented litigants must order Superior Court and Tax Court transcripts using the Court Transcript Request form.

Send by email to:

OR mail to: 

Transcript Unit
Appellate Division Clerk's Office
Richard J. Hughes Justice Complex
P.O. Box 968
Trenton, New Jersey 08625

What happens after you order a transcript:

  1. Standard orders are processed in the order they are received. Daily and Expedited orders are given priority.
  2. The Appellate Division Transcript Unit will contact a transcription agency or court reporter to transcribe the requested court proceeding.
  3. The agency or court reporter will contact you to request a deposit before starting your request.
  4. The agency or court reporter must receive your deposit before starting on your request. The deposit must be sent within five (5) business days. The start time for completion of your order begins once you make your deposit.
  5. Once your transcripts are completed, they will be sent to the Appellate Division Transcript Unit. Attorneys can retrieve a copy through eCourts. Self-represented litigants will be mailed a copy on CD or by email.

List of certified transcribers

Transcript FAQs

    • Q. Who can I contact if I have questions about requesting a transcript?

      For appeal transcript requests you can contact the Appellate Division Transcript Unit at 609-376-3040  For non-appeal transcript questions, contact the local county transcript office directly using the link above.

    • Q. How do I pay for transcripts?

      The certified transcription agency or court reporter handling your request will contact you about a deposit. Deposits for the request can be paid by mailing in a check or credit card over the phone, depending on what is accepted by the transcription agency or court reporter.

    • Q. How much does a transcript cost?

      Transcript costs are based on the length of the hearing(s) that are being transcribed. You can view Estimated Cost of Transcripts for further information.

    • Q. I received a fee waiver for my filing fees. Will transcript fees be waived as well?

      Fee waivers do not apply to transcript fees for appeals. You must file a Motion for Transcripts at Public Expense. 

      Transcripts at public expense are granted only in criminal cases where the defendant qualifies for that relief. 

      The trial or appellate court may order the transcript prepared at public expense in very limited categories:

      • Termination of parental rights cases filed by the Department of Child Protection and Permanency.
      • Title 9 abuse and neglect cases.
      • Certain adoption cases.
      • Involuntary civil commitments.

      Transcripts at public expense are unlikely in other types of cases.  

    • Q. Can I choose which agency I want to provide my transcript?

      You may request an agency as long as the transcript has not already been ordered and produced by another agency.

    • Q. Why do I need a transcript?

      The appellate judges need the transcript of what happened in the lower court case so that they can review everything that was said in court. 

    • Q. How do I request a transcript of an agency proceeding?

      You must contact the agency to get transcript information.

    • Q. Who must request a transcript?

      The person filing the appeal must request and pay for the transcript.