Reporting instructions for PETIT JURORS scheduled for the week of October 2, 2023
JURY ORIENTATION BEGINS ONLINE. PLEASE DO NOT REPORT TO THE COURTHOUSE UNTIL INSTRUCTED.
Confirmed Petit Jurors #0001-0854, who attended the mandatory jury orientation on Monday, October 2, 2023 please review your email for updated reporting information. Parking garage instructions were also emailed. Please bring your green summons card with you, if possible.
Confirmed Petit Jurors #0855-2300, are not required to participate on Tuesday, October 3, 2023. Please resume your normal activities. However, you may be needed on Wednesday, October 4, 2023 and will receive further instructions Tuesday afternoon.
Thank you for your willingness to serve as a juror and for helping the Judiciary continue to provide this vital function of our justice system during these extraordinary times.
Message from Assignment Judge Francis Hodgson, Jr.
Thank you for serving the Ocean County Court. Jurors are an essential part of our justice system. I hope that you enjoy your time as a juror while you are performing this invaluable service. Thank you for serving.
Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) Policy
Advise the Jury Management Office if you require an accommodation in order to serve. You can reach the Jury Management Office by phone ator by email at .
Juror Parking Directions
Jurors may park for free at the parking garage located behind 129 Hooper Avenue.
- If using GPS, please enter 129 Hooper Ave, Toms River, NJ 08753
- There are 3 points of entry into the parking garage: Madison Avenue, Hadley Avenue or Washington Street. Please allow 10 minutes to cross over to Jury Assembly.
- You may park on any of the 5 levels. However, please refrain from parking in the spots identified as “RESERVED"
- The skywalk is located on the 3rd floor level of the garage and allows for you to cross Hooper Avenue safely. Once you cross Hooper Avenue via the skywalk, you will see a sign directing you to the street level. You may use the elevator OR the stairs to bring you down to street level on Hooper Avenue. Once on the street level proceed through the door facing the courthouse go to the left. Follow the sidewalk heading South toward Washington Street, past the entrance to the Justice Complex and you will see the entrance to 100 A Hooper Avenue on the right.
Jurors reporting for service should wear clothing appropriate for an appearance in court. Shorts, t-shirts, uniforms or clothing containing statements or offensive symbols are not permitted. All hats must be removed when in a courtroom. Comfortable clothing is also advisable.
- Cell phones, pagers and electronic devices must be turned off in the courtroom.
- You are not permitted to read newspapers or other materials in the courtroom.
- You are not permitted to bring food or beverages into the courtroom.
If You Are Selected As A Juror
- The trial judge will instruct you regarding the trial schedule, reporting times, any recesses, lunch arrangements, etc.
- The judge's instructions will take precedence over any general instructions given in the assembly area.
- You must wear your juror badge at all times, including during lunch.
Other Factors Relating To Your Juror Service
- The daily fee for petit jurors is $5 for the first 3 days and $40 for each day after 3 days.
- The daily fee for grand jurors is $5 for each day of service.
- Checks are processed on Friday.
- Your juror check will generally be received within 3 weeks.
- Check with your employer or your union representative, or read your employee handbook if you have questions about whether you will be compensated by your employer while serving as a juror.
Be aware that N.J.S.A. 2B:20-17 protects jurors from employment related retaliation and provides for the possibility of both criminal and civil sanctions.
Term of Service
Petit jurors are required to be available for one week of service. You must call, check the recorded message, or check the website each evening prior to your service to obtain instructions regarding whether you must report. If you are selected, you must remain for the duration of jury selection process, and the trial. Once your service is completed, you will not be eligible to be selected to serve again for 3 years.
The courthouse is a non-smoking facility. If you leave the courthouse to smoke, you must inform jury staff so that we are aware of your location at all times.
Failure to Report
Individuals who fail to respond to a jury summons or fail to report when summoned may be subject to penalties including fines. If you have forgotten to appear as scheduled for jury service, please contact the Jury Management Office immediately at.