Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Child Support, Child Custody, and Parenting Time

Family disputes can be complicated. These resources are designed to help you with custody and support matters when divorce is not part of the case. 

On This Page


This docket type involves parenting and support issues in cases where no divorce is filed.

  • Child custody
  • Parenting time and visitation, including grandparents and siblings
  • Establishing paternity
  • Child Support
  • Spousal Support
  • Health insurance coverage

Who Can File?

  • A parent who is not married.
  • A parent who is married but has not filed for divorce, who wants to establish paternity, custody, parenting time, visitation, child support, or health insurance coverage.
  • A parent who is married and who wants spousal or health insurance coverage.
  • A grandparent or adult sibling who wants to file for custody, visitation, child support or health insurance coverage.
  • Anyone filing a counterclaim or a response to a complaint filed against them.

Note: If you are divorced or are seeking a divorce from the other parent, please use our divorce self-help resources.

Register an Out-of-State Order

The New Jersey Courts can register and, if needed, enforce custody and visitation orders from other states. First, download and complete the request form. The completed form and the $35 filing fee can be submitted using JEDS.

This process does not apply to out-of-state child support orders, which do not require litigants to file a request.

For more information on out-of-state custody and visitation orders, see Administrative Directive 12-23.

What does "establish paternity" mean? 

If the couple is married, both parties are the legal parents of their child(ren). For unmarried couples, the legal father must be named in the court papers. This will ensure that both parents are legally responsible for supporting the child(ren). Paternity must be established in order to request child support from the legal father.

Do I need a lawyer to file a non-dissolution case?

  • The law, the proofs necessary to present your case, and the court process are complex. You should try to get a lawyer for this type of case.
  • Legal Services of New Jersey maintains a directory of regional legal services offices
  • The New Jersey Bar Association also maintains a list of county lawyer referral services that might be helpful.

Things to Think about Before You Represent Yourself in Court

What You Should Expect If You Represent Yourself