Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

If your motion involves child support, check (N.J. Court Rule 5:6A) . to see the guidelines that are used to determine child support amounts.

12 Steps for Filing a Motion:

  1. Fill out the Notice of Motion (Form A)
    • This form tells the court and other party what you wish to change.
    • It also lists the date the motion will be heard.
  2. Get a court date for your motion – Court Calendar
    • Use the link to go to the court calendar.
    • Under “Miscellaneous,” select “Motion Day Schedule.”
    • Pick a Friday that allows enough time to meet all requirements.
    • Fill in that date on your Notice of Motion Form.
  3. Fill out the Confidential Litigant Information Sheet
    • This form must be completed any time you file a pleading for alimony, child support, etc.
    • Do not leave any blank spaces.
    • Enter “N/A” in any field that does not apply.
  4. Fill out the Certification in Support of Motion (Form B)
    • Type or print the reasons the court should agree to your request.
    • Reasons must be based on facts.
    • Include a copy of all pervious orders.
    • Include any supporting documents, such as pay stubs or tax returns.
    • Sign and date the form.
  5. Fill out the Proposed Order (Form C)
    • Include everything you are asking the court.
    • The original and two copies of your Proposed Order must be included.
    • Do not use this form to establish a new child support claim.
    • Do not use this form to increase or decrease your child support obligation.
  6. Fill out the Certification of Filing and Service (Form D)
    • Tells the court the day you mailed or delivered your motion.
    • Lists the method of delivery.
  7. Fill out the Notice to Litigants (From E)
    • Use this form to inform the other party of your request.
      Failing to include the Notice to Litigants could get your case dismissed.
  8. Fill out the Statement for the Probation Division (Form F)

    Only use this form if child support is through the Probation Division. 

  9. Fill out the Case Information Statement (CIS)
    • Use this form if you previously filed a CIS in the case.
    • You must include a copy of the most recent CIS if you’re seeking monetary relief.
  10. Fill out the Letter to the Clerk (Form G)
    • Complete the Letter to the Clerk of the Superior Court.
    • This letter must be the first page of the documents you send to court.
    • You must include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
  11. Check your completed forms and make copies
    • Check your forms. Make sure they are complete.
    • Remove all instruction sheets.
    • Make sure you signed where required.
    • Make 3 copies of the entire packet.
    • Make 2 extra copies of the proposed order.
    • Keep one packet of copies for your records.
  12. Submit your forms
    • Forms can be submitted electronically, by mail, or by delivery.
    • You can upload your forms on Judiciary Electronic Document Submission (JEDS).
    • To mail your forms or deliver them in person, find your county courthouse.
    • You can properly serve the packet the other party or their attorney by:
      • Certified or regular mail through the USPS
      • Process server or Courier Service
      • An adult neutral third party
      • Delivery by you
    • You must be able to prove in court you delivered the packet to the other party

The Family Multi-Purpose Post Judgment Motion Packet has more detailed instructions for filling out the required forms.