Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Post-Judgment Motions in Family Court

Use the packet titled Family Multi-Purpose Post Judgment Motion Packet to request a change to a court order in an FM case. FM cases involve divorce, ending a civil union, or ending a domestic partnership

Motions you can request:

  • Increase or decrease child support payments.
  • End or continue child support.
  • Increase, decrease, or End alimony or spousal support payments.
  • Change custody arrangements of a minor child.
  • Change visitation/parenting rights
  • Enforce a litigant’s rights.
  • Emancipation of a child.
  • Reimbursement of medical expenses from the other parent.
  • Change of venue where a case is heard.
  • Relocation of a child
  • Miscellaneous Family Court motions governed by Court Rule 5:5-4.
  • Resume your maiden name after a divorce.
  • Reconsideration (FM, FD, or FV cases).
  • Reinstate your divorce complaint.
  • Cross-motion for responding to one of the motions listed above.

Do not use this packet if you want to file an appeal a court order. Instead, go to the Self-Help Appeals section.

Do not use this packet if you want to file a motion about child support or custody in an FD case or an FV case. Instead, go to this Self-Help section.

Get a Lawyer

The court system can be confusing, and it is a good idea to get a lawyer if you can. If you cannot afford a lawyer, you can contact the legal services program in your county to see if you qualify for free legal services.

Legal Services of New Jersey maintains a directory of regional legal services offices or may be reached at (732)-572-9100.

The NJ State Bar Association also maintains a list of county referral services that might be helpful.

Things to think about before representing yourself in court

While you have the right to represent yourself in court, you should not expect any special treatment, help, or attention from the court. You must still comply with the Rules of the Court, even if you are not familiar with them. The following is a list of some things the court staff can and cannot do for you. Please read it carefully before asking the court staff for help. 

  • We can explain and answer questions about how the court works.
  • We can tell you what the requirements are to have your case considered by the court.
  • We can give you some information from your case file.
  • We can provide you with samples of court forms that are available.
  • We can provide you with guidance on how to fill out forms.
  • We can usually answer questions about court deadlines.
  • We cannot give you legal advice. Only your lawyer can give you legal advice.
  • We cannot tell you whether or not you should bring your case to court.
  • We cannot give you an opinion about what will happen if you bring your case to court.
  • We cannot recommend a lawyer, but we can provide you with the telephone number of a local lawyer referral service.
  • We cannot talk to the judge for you about what will happen in your case.
  • We cannot let you talk to the judge outside of court.
  • We cannot change an order issued by a judge.


  • You must send the motion papers to the other person or their lawyer 24 days before the case is scheduled.
  • If you send the motion by mail, it must be sent 27 days prior to the scheduled court date.


  • For FM cases only, you need to include a $50 check or money order to the clerk. Make checks payable to Treasurer, State of New Jersey.

Do you qualify for a fee waiver?