Attorneys who wish to apply for certification can find the application for their field of practice here. Review the following instructions, deadlines, and rules and regulations.
|Civil||March 31, 2023|
|Criminal||March 31, 2023|
|Matrimonial||April 28, 2023|
|Workers’ Compensation||April 28, 2023|
|Municipal Court||May 31, 2023|
Applications postmarked or delivered after the deadline will not be considered by the Board for the 2023 examination.
Rules and Regulations
Read the Regulations of the Board on Attorney Certification before completing the application.
Read Court Rule 1:39 before completing the application.
The forms below must be downloaded to your device before they will open properly:
Application for Certified Civil Trial Attorneys
Application for Certified Criminal Trial Attorneys
Application for Certified Matrimonial Law Attorneys
Application for Certified Municipal Court Law Attorneys
Application for Certified Worker’s Compensation Law Attorneys
Visit our forms help page for instructions on how to open these forms.
Instructions for completing applications
- All questions must be answered or shown as “not applicable.” Incomplete applications will be returned.
- All responses must be typed. Handwritten applications will not be accepted for filing.
- Section II: Peer Review. Do not send reference letters with your application. This office will solicit statements of reference by mail and provide forms to each person listed in your application. Applicants are required to furnish accurate and current addresses for references.
You are encouraged to notify the attorney or judge that you are naming them as a reference in your application for certification. Prior notification often assists the reference in completing and timely returning the peer review form. In order to maintain confidentiality and a fair process, you should not be discussing with your references the details of their peer review responses.
Because peer review is both a confidential and voluntary process, additional names may be requested of the applicant if any of the provided references are non-responsive. In addition, the Certification Committees and the Board may seek references from other attorneys and judges familiar with the skills and reputation of the applicant.
Substitute names may be requested of the applicant if any of the provided references are nonresponsive. In addition, the Certification Committees and the Board may seek references from other attorneys and judges familiar with the skills of the applicant.
- Attach any Certificates of Good Standing attached if applicable.
- Include check for $250 made payable to “Secretary, Board on Attorney Certification”.
- Certification and Waiver executed (last page of application signed).
Mail to (Regular):
Overnight or hand deliver:
Board On Attorney Certification Fees
|Certification Application Fee||$250|
|Certification Examination Fee||
|Recertification Application Fee||$175|
|Certified Attorney Logo||$5|
|Certified Attorney Brochures (Brochures are available in multiples of 100)||$50|